Our learning this term......
Our enquiries this term are ‘How do plants grow in my city?’ and ‘How will we get around in the future?’ These will help us develop our skills as scientists, artists, geographers, musicians, historians and engineers. As scientists we will be learning about what plants need to grow through experiments and exploration. As geographers we will think about plants around that world, the habitats in which plants grow and how the climate affects this. As artists we will be doing careful observational drawings and paintings of plants. As engineers we will be designing and making a vehicle and then using technology to create a short film of describing their vehicle.
Throughout Term 5, we will be exploring fiction writing. We will continue to develop our skills in these areas:
- Writing linked sentences with capital letters, full stops, question marks and exclamation marks
- Use conjunctions: and, but, so because, that, if, when to link our sentences.
- Using capital letters for proper nouns
- Using conjunctions to extend sentences (and, but, because, or, that, when, if)
- Adding a range of suffixes including –ing, -ed, -er –est –ful –less –ness and -ment to words where the root word changes (for example ‘skipped, happily)
- Using contractions (can’t, won’t, wouldn’t, I’m)
- Proof-read and edit spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Joined handwriting
This term, we will be consolidating a range of calculations including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. We will also be taking part in different investigations and applying our maths skills to help us solve problems.
In weeks 4 and 5 the children will be completing their Year 2 SATs, which we refer to as ‘quizzes’ in school. These are really low key and are part of the daily routine to inform our teacher assessments.
Please make sure your child is in school every day arriving promptly, has had plenty of sleep and a good breakfast!
The following link will support your child in problem solving and reasoning skills needed in the maths quiz.